On September 13, 1814 at 3:00 pm, the members of the Committee of Vigilance and Safety reconvened for an afternoon meeting. Continuing the discussion from their morning meeting, feeding the thousands of troops stationed around the city remained a serious concern.
The Virginia militia in the Sixth Brigade under Brigadier General Hugh Douglas had been called up for the defense of Washington on August 22 but arrived too late to join the forces at Bladensburg. After the burning of Washington, the Virginia militia were ordered to Baltimore where they arrived with little ammunition, none of the equipment they needed to set up camp and no food to eat.
Baltimore 3 O’Clock P. M. 13th September 1814
The Committee of Vigilance and Safety met pursuant to adjournment—The proceedings of the forenoon were read—
The Major General informed the Committee by a verbal communication that, the troops under General Douglas command were in want of provisions: therefore—
Resolved, That Mr. Bond be and he is hereby requested and directed to send provisions immediately to the Troops under General Douglas command—
Resolved, That Mr. Payson be and he is hereby authorised and requested to purchase for the use of the Army, on the best terms he can, of Mr. Robert Barry all the provisions he has on hand—
The Committee then adjourned to 8 O’Clock tomorrow morning—
Henry Payson (1762-1845) was merchant who lived on Hanover Street and representing the city’s Second Ward on the Committee. Peter Bond (d. 1821) was another merchant who lived at 9 Bridge Street (today’s Gay Street) and represented the city’s Sixth Ward on the committee. Robert Barry